Sunday, March 16, 2008

White Day

So there's Valentine's Day in Japan, but it's not quite like in the U.S.

In Japan, Valentine's day is the day that women give men chocolate, and it's pretty free of the stresses of Valentine's day in the U.S. But, then there's White Day.

White Day is the Japanese Valentine's Day, for the ladies. On White Day the men are expected to give the ladies a little chocolate, maybe a small gift. But, again, you give these gifts to all the ladies that you interact with on a daily basis and so it is somewhat freed from the stress of finding a Valentine like in the U.S.

I work in an office with several wonderful ladies and so I thought I'd do right by them and by a box of chocolates for them to share.

I found a nice box, it even had a nice little message on it and that little symbol I see on gifts. I thought, "sugoi, I've found just the right thing, the ladies will be pleased." Wrong. The following morning another Westerner asked one of the Japanese speaking ladies what the message on the box I purchased for them said, and she quietly shared that it says, "Congratulations on Passing Your Examinations." Being the wonderfully polite woman she was she also said that this was a good gift I got because this is the time of year when students are taking exams...but we both knew that it was pretty funny.

The box I bought is on the far right side:

3 comments:

Jen aka Evilynmo said...

Is the picture at the top of your blog a pic that you took? It is a really great picture. =)

I love you!

Sally said...

Paul,

You are such an engaging correspondent. I found the sink, coffee maker and dehumidifying fascinatingly alien.

Not that I'm biased or anything!

Love to you both

Unknown said...

Yes, I took that last year the statue is maybe 6 inches tall, actually.