Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Southeast Botanical Gardens

The Southeast Botanical Gardens in Chibana are great. Really great. It's very cheap (about 1,000 yen, but they give you 500 yen in credit at the gift shop), and it has some really neat things to see:

like this cactus-y tree (?)

Okinawa has gorgeous flowers and lots of orchids (which you note immediately after you leave the airplane in Naha).
Here's something called a Jade Plant


There are so many gorgeous things to see at this place that I kinda gave up and just started taking pictures of things that were of interest to me like these guys:

On the left is the bottle palm, I don't know what that is on the right. In both is some kind of tropical mistletoe.


These two above were in the Enchanted Forest section.

This has to be one of my favorite signs (next to the sign at Naha Airport that states puddings are not allowed):

But the real highlight has to be the carp. They're disgusting.

So I took several videos:

You can feed them, there's a vending machine (of course) full of fish food and it's gotta be the best 100 yen you can spend.
Here's me gettin' more riled up:

and here is their bizarre crescendo:


The website for the Southeast Botanical Gardens:
http://www.sebg.co.jp/e/

5 comments:

Jen aka Evilynmo said...

The carp are so gross and so cool at the same time. I am so glad that you get to live in a gorgeous place. That takes the sting off the homesickness i'll bet. I love you! =)

Grammy said...

I want to go there when Dad and I come to visit.

Kara said...

I'm headed to the botanical garden tomorrow. I've been wanting to go and hubby doesn't seem to excited about it, so I'll go by myself while he is at work! Great pics!

Unknown said...

My family and I lived in Okinawa for 3 years. This garden is amazing. Food however outside Kaiden's base is Ghangus Kahn. Best food ever

Unknown said...

Kadena air base