Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Being Homeless in Japan: Netcafes, video parlors

I've been writing a lot at my other blog, KudzuKongzi, lately and noticed that I've been writing a little about Japan as well as the other things I'm concerned with at that blog.

As I've written, Japan's homeless population is a little hard to see in part because they're not faced with only sleeping outside - some may also be net cafe refugees.

Another possibility is that those with minimal family ties in Japan and some amount of savings are taking their money to Southeast Asia where the cost of living is lower and their pensions would go further.

All of this is to say that Labor as practiced in Japan is different from what I'm used to in the U.S. (which is to say, in the U.S. organized labor is a lame duck movement now).

Today, the Japan Times offers a nice explanation about netcafes, 24 hour karaoke boxes, and video parlors.

No comments: